Six Tips for Creating a Successful Promotional Products Campaign
1. Define a specific objective. Whether the goal is to increase trade show traffic or boost sales, the first step is to clarify the purpose of the program.
2. Determine a workable distribution plan to the target audience. Distribution of a promotional product is as important as the item itself. Research shows that a carefully executed distribution plan significantly increases the effectiveness of promotional products..
3. Create a central theme. Linking a recognizable logo and color to all aspects of a campaign, from promotional products to sales sheets to product packaging, helps create an instantly recognizable image.
4. Develop a message to support the theme. Supporting a campaign's theme with a message helps to solidify a company's name, service, or products in the target audience's mind. For example, a bank wanting to promote its small business services posed the question, "Are you tired of being treated like a small fish?" and sent fish-related products to its prospects along with promotional literature.
5. Select a product that bears a natural relationship to your profession or communications theme. One company developed a magic motif for a conference at Disney World. Attendees received magic-related products to tie in with the theme "experience the magic at Disney."
6. Don't pick an item based solely on uniqueness, price, or perceived value. Don't fall prey to the latest trends for fads. The most effective promotional products are used in a cohesive, well-planned campaign.